It's not just about intercourse you know...

Sex education IS birth control --- Sex can wait. Masturbate!

Educationsexpectations is now a website!!!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sexuality, the friendly ghost


So I've recently been reading a lot about curriculum. There are many different types of curricula that take place in schools. I took a curriculum course last semester, and one of the most intriguing curricula to me was the notion of the hidden curriculum.

Hidden curriculum is what is learned without us knowing... so to speak. For example, 2+2=4, yes. This is probably what was written on the overt curriculum. BUT, Bobby and Susie discussing a parent's divorce on the playground; this is hidden curriculum. What students learn (and trust me, it's a lot!) that is unintentional.

Now ladies and gentlemen.... Let me introduce you to the biggest ghost in the world: Sex Education

Okay:
If we do not teach kids about sex in schools, they WILL learn it anyway. At lunch when Bobby holds Nicole's hand and she blushes. BAM... that's a sex education lesson. At a girl's sleepover on Saturday night when they giggle and talk about boys. BAM... lesson two.

Rest assured, it is not only sex education that is a hidden curriculum. And rest assured again that hidden curriculum is not necessarily a BAD thing. The majority of the things I deemed valuable in high school were not things on the overt curriculum. My grade 10 history teacher gave me some study tips inadvertently that really stuck with me. As I educate, I find myself reiterating these tips to many of my students. Thanks Ms. Morrison!

The hidden curriculum. Be aware of it! It's not all bad. Actually, most of it is incredibly inspiring. So, don't be afraid of all the invisible sexual knowledge. Key word there: all. You can be afraid of some!
(***Parents: Note the privacy/safety tool on Google***)

Not all ghosts are malignant ghosts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use a condom Charlie Brown!

Use a condom Charlie Brown!
When? How? Ahhh! I'm scared of sex!

Step one?

Step one?
Are you in love? Do you need to be? What are the parameters?

Bingo!

Bingo!

Sex education in popular culture

  • The 40 year old Virgin
  • S&M by Rhianna
  • The Late night Sex show
  • The Purity Myth: How America's obsession with virginity is hurting young women
  • Laid: Young People's Experiences with Sex in an Easy-Access Culture
  • The Abstinence Teacher
  • The Purity Pledge
  • The Magdalene Sisters
  • Dangerous Liaisons
  • Skipped Parts
  • Thanks for Coming: One young woman's quest for an orgasm
  • Mean Girls
  • Britney Spears