It's not just about intercourse you know...

Sex education IS birth control --- Sex can wait. Masturbate!

Educationsexpectations is now a website!!!

Friday, May 14, 2010

Don't shy away from things that exist... here's some food for thought!

I have an excellent idea. Beyond excellent idea.

So I was recently encouraged to read a lovely journal entitled Our Schools Our Selves "Sex Ed and Youth". Not only do I adore this journal, but I adore every author in it! It's a journal about sexuality and minority communities. A beautiful read, if I do say so myself. I am currently reading Volume 18, Number 2 and I'm excited to get my hands on the other volumes!

So I was reading an article by Alexandra Looky who speaks about the differences in the sex education curricula of North America and Togo. So as I'm reading her article, I keep thinking about ways to improve current sex education (as is my usual train of thought). THEN, my new best friend Alexandra Looky (2009) lists her thoughts on how to approach sexual education. I enjoy them all and I agree wholeheartedly with the general theme, which is a positive vs. negative approach. Also, the inclusion of other aspects of sex rather than the consequence of pregnancy. <-- THANK YOU! What about STIs? Hmm?? What about Susie's broken heart when Jared gets up and says "Alright, I gotta peace. Thanks for the sex"? OR.... what about the satisfaction Molly gets from making the decision to express her love towards her boyfriend? OR... what about Billy confronting his boyfriend about wearing a condom, which shows his self worth in wanting to keep himself healthy and safe? Anyway... Looky's article (2009) raised a lot of interesting points for me, as did almost every article in this journal! One of the things Looky (2009) states is that "the average Canadian is still ignorant when it comes to sexual and reproductive health but is living in a country where countless resources are readily available..." (p. 95).



Absolutely. There are pamphlets about everything under the sun these days, and SO.... get ready:

Sarah's words of wisdom:
TEACHERS. Why not craft an assignment that encourages students to pick from a variety of pamphlets about sexually related subjects (anal sex, rape, sexual harassment, orientation and harassment, sexual dysfunction, sexual diversity, etc) and ask them to do a presentation/other form of critical assignment on one issue of their choice. THIS WAY the students who are like "aaahhh, I don't need to know about HIV" can present on something else. It sounds to me like this would be a value friendly assignment. Maybe? Also, have all these pamphlets (hopefully one day crafted by me or another superior mind) readily available in the school. ALL of these issues are important. If a student wants to shy away from COMPLETELY knowing everything about anal sex... fine. Don't present on it. Yes? Thoughts?

ALSO!!!!! by having each student present on something different, it allows you as a teacher to get through more material and thus, be a more comprehensive sex educator. AND!!! since the students are teaching each other, hopefully there will be more accessible language used, trust, less embarrassment, and an opportunity for students to talk to other students about sex! Whoa. Yes.

So, read this journal. Do it. It is filled with many educated voices from SO many perspectives. These are the people in our communities, in our schools, bravely speaking about something soooooo important. LISTEN. Aka, read. :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I did not not know my essay got published in a journal. I am glad someone shares some of my views on how to approach sexual education among youth.
    let me know if you want to discuss further about this subject.
    Alexandra LOOKY

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALEXANDRA!!!! Thank you for posting! Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I'm doing a project on technology and so I've had the opportunity to play around with my blog.

    I really enjoyed your essay. You should be proud! The journal is beautiful. Our Schools Our Selves is really popular in the education world, at least at my university.

    I hope you don't mind I quoted you. I love your stuff and would love to discuss further with you.

    Thanks again for the post! I felt silly commenting on my own post. But I did it anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, sarah. give me a shout if you're interested in contributing to "our schools / our selves." we're always interested in original content (especially if it includes classroom-ready materials...)
    thanks!

    erika
    www.policyalternatives.ca
    editor, os/os

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erika!

    I just sent an email to the site. It should be coming your way! I'd love to be involved. I will draft something up after the holidays and send some stuff. If there are any specific subject areas I should focus on, let me know.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Use a condom Charlie Brown!

Use a condom Charlie Brown!
When? How? Ahhh! I'm scared of sex!

Step one?

Step one?
Are you in love? Do you need to be? What are the parameters?

Bingo!

Bingo!

Sex education in popular culture

  • The 40 year old Virgin
  • S&M by Rhianna
  • The Late night Sex show
  • The Purity Myth: How America's obsession with virginity is hurting young women
  • Laid: Young People's Experiences with Sex in an Easy-Access Culture
  • The Abstinence Teacher
  • The Purity Pledge
  • The Magdalene Sisters
  • Dangerous Liaisons
  • Skipped Parts
  • Thanks for Coming: One young woman's quest for an orgasm
  • Mean Girls
  • Britney Spears