It's not just about intercourse you know...

Sex education IS birth control --- Sex can wait. Masturbate!

Educationsexpectations is now a website!!!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

It's Perfectly Normal.... Damn straight it is!

Kids kids kids!!! I have found you a sex education book, completely real, completely chill, completely value-free! Robie H. Harris (my new bff) has crafted a gorgeous comprehensive sex education book for kids titled It's Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health.



This wonderful book does not highlight a specific age it is intended for, but as the reader, I'm going to suggest ages 9-14...? Yes. It is written very matter-of-fact-esque with adorable visuals and simple explanation. Harris (2004) broadens her focus as she moves from birth to adolescence, talking about how the body differs and what one can do with his/her body. It's very "what? when? how? why?" which I like.

And here's the delicious portion of the pie:

This book includes masturbation and sexual orientation.

Say what?!?!?! Robie H. Harris first published It's Perfectly Normal in 1994 and revamped it for 2004. I got my hands on the 2004 copy. I am curious to see if the 1994 copy has similar content. Thoughts?

The author of this delicious informative treasure won the National Family Planning and Reproductive Health Association Award for outstanding education. Of course she did! And it is well deserved from reading this masterpiece! :) Well done girlfriend!

I picked up another sex education book at the library that was written from a Christian perspective. Definitely informative and written well, but I was in search for a value-free text. Now I know everyone is biased, but the Harris book is just so diversity friendly talking about culture, orientation, differing bodies, etc. I was impressed.

Mad props to you Robie H. Harris. I am a fan of your book.
When I teach all your children sex education (fear the day), I will use this book as a written curriculum. Straight up.

Thanks for keeping it real like so many neglect to do. Verrrry nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use a condom Charlie Brown!

Use a condom Charlie Brown!
When? How? Ahhh! I'm scared of sex!

Step one?

Step one?
Are you in love? Do you need to be? What are the parameters?

Bingo!

Bingo!

Sex education in popular culture

  • The 40 year old Virgin
  • S&M by Rhianna
  • The Late night Sex show
  • The Purity Myth: How America's obsession with virginity is hurting young women
  • Laid: Young People's Experiences with Sex in an Easy-Access Culture
  • The Abstinence Teacher
  • The Purity Pledge
  • The Magdalene Sisters
  • Dangerous Liaisons
  • Skipped Parts
  • Thanks for Coming: One young woman's quest for an orgasm
  • Mean Girls
  • Britney Spears