It's not just about intercourse you know...

Sex education IS birth control --- Sex can wait. Masturbate!

Educationsexpectations is now a website!!!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Who's thinking of the children? I know I am!!

Ladies and gentlemen,
Buckle your seat belts and hold the phone because this is so exciting even YOU might raise an eyebrow. Yours truly has just received her very own copy of Our Schools Our Selves the Spring 2011 edition. Cool.

Yes, it's cool. What's COOLER is that on page 71, my article on student-centred sexual health education is shining beneath a picture of me looking QUITE academic!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know. Seriously.
So I'll give you a brief synopsis of what I argue and then leave you in SUSPENSE!!!

First of all, this is an incredibly awesome and progressive journal about policy change in Canada. Beautiful read. I read the sex education edition and kind of fell in love. Twice.

So my article is called "Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children? Promoting student-centred sexual health education". *sigh* Take a moment to love that... there.

Here's a picture of it:

Isn't that gorgeous? Oh yes. I can't even handle it.
There's another picture above. Oh it's so awesome.

So I'm essentially advocating FOR comprehensive sexual health education BECAUSE it is student-centred and focuses on the learners (the students) instead of other biases. The students need to know information relevant to them, so I argue that let's LISTEN to them and feed off of their questions in order to sculpt a better curriculum. I suggest a couple of ways to do so by pointing to some research that has worked well; for example, anonymous question boxes. Do this.

Anyway, I'm excited. I will talk about this article (and reference myself like a cocky narcissus) later. I will also post about my trip to England where I again advocated for STUDENT-CENTRED LEARNING through collaboration! Yaaaaaaay.

Stay safe, sexually speaking.
Yours,
the published sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use a condom Charlie Brown!

Use a condom Charlie Brown!
When? How? Ahhh! I'm scared of sex!

Step one?

Step one?
Are you in love? Do you need to be? What are the parameters?

Bingo!

Bingo!

Sex education in popular culture

  • The 40 year old Virgin
  • S&M by Rhianna
  • The Late night Sex show
  • The Purity Myth: How America's obsession with virginity is hurting young women
  • Laid: Young People's Experiences with Sex in an Easy-Access Culture
  • The Abstinence Teacher
  • The Purity Pledge
  • The Magdalene Sisters
  • Dangerous Liaisons
  • Skipped Parts
  • Thanks for Coming: One young woman's quest for an orgasm
  • Mean Girls
  • Britney Spears